Practical Action will be participating in the 2018 Sustainable Energy for All (SEforAll) Forum to highlight the energy access needs of some of the world's poorest communities. We will be advocating for approaches to energy policy and practice that we believe, through our decades-long experience in this field, will quickly, efficiently and most sustainably provide energy-poor communities with the sorts of energy services that will enable them to thrive.
SEforAll Forum 2018 Lisbon 2-3 May
The UN's Sustainable Energy for All initiative (SEforAll) has been a key driving force in elevating the status of energy access globally in recent years. Since SEforAll's inception in 2012, it has been widely understood that, for universal energy access to be achieved, government, the private sector and civil society must work together. This multi-stakeholder approach has been supported by Practical Action from the very beginning.
The annual SEforAll forums provide an opportunity to put this into practice. Here, stakeholders working to achieve universal energy access from across the globe convene to learn from each other, forge partnerships to bolster momentum around the SDG7 agenda, and commit to innovative approaches for achieving universal energy access.
Practical Action's key messages
At the Forum we will:
- Advocate for the unique energy requirements of refugees and displaced populations;
- Highlight the investment needs of energy-poor consumers and the local enterprises seeking to provide energy services to remote communities;
- Explore the gender dimensions of energy access, and consider how best to scale-up sustainable access pathways for the most vulnerable people;
- Promote the role of market activation in catalysing and growing sustainable energy markets.
Practical Action's participation
In order to ensure the needs and priorities of energy-poor communities are heard, we are contributing to several sessions at the Forum:
- 2nd May 13.00-14.30, Informal networking event for last mile distribution companies (networking event - Belem conference room)
- 2nd May 16.00-17.30, Last Mile First: Maximizing the Impacts of Energy Access on the SDGs (partner working session - Rossio)
- 2nd May 16.00-17.30, Advancing mini-grids through partnerships (plenary)
- 3rd May 11.45-13.00, The Deep Dive: Energy in Humanitarian Settings (Belem conference room)
- 3rd May 14.30-16.00, Energizing Finance: Barriers and Opportunities to Unlock Finance for Energy Access (partner working session - Rossio)
- 4th May 12.00-17.00, SEforAll People Centred Accelerator Update (closed workshop)