Agenda for Change
Women and girls do not enjoy the same status, power or access to and control over resources as men and boys. Without addressing the underlying causes of inequality, we can’t achieve the sustainable change for women and men that we seek. Practical Action is working to improve women and girls’ voice, choice and control across our programmatic and policy work.
Practical Action is committed to:
- Ensuring equitable access to services, knowledge, and material and financial support for all women and men
- Advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment
- improving monitoring and evaluation to better understand and target gender issues in our work
Practical Action has pledged to strengthen our activities on gender, including setting minimum standards for all our work; expecting gender sensitive approaches (meeting women and men’s practical day to day needs) as a minimum, and seeking gender transformative approaches (meeting women and men’s strategic needs) as our overall ambition. We are working to ensure that all our project and programme monitoring and evaluations disaggregate indicators by gender, building gender equality into the metrics of our monitoring and evaluation processes from the outset.
Goals for Policy and Practice
- Challenging the existing situation, where appropriate, by promoting policies and institutions that recognise women’s differing practical and strategic needs
- Supporting approaches to ensure the voices of marginalised groups, including women, are heard in policy and regulatory or institutional debates
- Informing the practice of others in our key goal areas to promote the inclusion and empowerment of women, men, girls and boys and addressing the differentiated needs of each